Technological advancements provide businesses with highly lucrative competitive advantages. It is therefore imperative that a business protect the investments it makes in developing these innovations and patents serve this purpose. A patent provides its owner with the exclusive right to make, use or sell the patented invention for a period of 20 years. As such, patents are often among a business’ most valuable assets.
At CPST, our patent agents and lawyers have the technical backgrounds and the depth of experience to assist clients in navigating the legally complex patenting process, both domestically and internationally.
Our clients regularly rely on our business-focused, practical, and cost-effective advice in developing and managing their world-wide patent portfolios.
We have deep experience in a wide variety of industries including, for example: financial services, oil and gas, emerging technologies (e.g. artificial intelligence, IoT, blockchain and quantum computing), process automation, biotechnology (e.g. genetic engineering, antibody technologies), life sciences, medical devices, cannabis, materials sciences, consumer products, electronics, computer vision, and wireless communications.
Our patent-related services include the following:
- drafting and prosecution of patent applications
- advising on patenting strategies and patent portfolio management
- preparation of opinions (patentability, state-of-the-art, freedom-to-operate, infringement, invalidity)
- advising on due diligence issues with respect to transactions involving patents
- preparing and advising on license, joint development, and technology transfer agreements
- advising on challenging of patent rights, including third party submissions and re-examination proceedings