Antonio (Tony) is a founding partner of CPST Law LLP and its related patent and trademark agency firm, CPST Intellectual Property Inc. He is a lawyer and trademark agent.
Antonio’s practice focuses on litigation related to intellectual property rights, including disputes related to patents, copyright, trademarks, industrial designs and trade secrets. He has represented clients in domain name disputes under both the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy and the CIRA Domain Name Dispute Resolution Policy.
Antonio is involved in the management of intellectual property portfolios, including providing strategic advice, searching the availability of trademarks, the filing and prosecution of trademark and copyright applications in Canada, as well as trademark opposition and non-use proceedings.
On the commercial side, he also assists clients in commercial transactions involving intellectual property and technology, such as financing and licensing.
Antonio has been recognized as a leading patent and trademark lawyer in the following publications:
- The Best Lawyers in Canada (Intellectual Property Law)
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars
- World Trademark Review 1000: The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
- World Intellectual Property Review Leader
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks
- The Legal 500 Canada (Intellectual Property)
- International Trademark Association, Chair - International Amicus Committee
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- American Bar Association
- Author - Ontario Court Upholds That Professional Hockey Player Did Not Breach Morals Clause in Endorsement Contract, The Licensing Journal, April 2018.
- Author - Non-Distinctive Trade-mark Does Not Make the Cut. World Trademark Review Daily, January 10, 2018.
- Author - When Do Free Samples Constitute Use?, World Trademark Review Daily, December 6, 2017.
- Author - Can a Cheerleader Uniform Designer Earn Her Stripes (and Chevrons)?, Canadian Intellectual Property Review, Vol. 33, pp. 15, 2017.
- Author - Canada chapter; Law of Merchandise and Character Licensing, Thomson Reuters
- Quoted - Lawyer Sees Benefits, Drawbacks to Canada’s New Strategy on Intellectual Property, The Lawyer“s Daily, April 27, 2018.
- Quoted - Facebook's New Approach to Verifying News Sources Renews Debate on Tackling 'Fake News', Digital Business Lawyer, February 2018.
- Moderator - Booking.com: A Closer Look, International Trademark Association, May 7, 2020.
- Presenter - Internet Policy and Intellectual Property: Internet Exceptionalism
Intellectual Property Law &Technology Intensive Program, Osgoode Hall Law School, September 3, 2019.
- Presenter - Foundations of Copyright: The Who, What, Where, When and How
Copyright Master Class, McGill University/Intellectual Property Institute of Canada, Montréal, Quebec, July 22, 2019.
- Presenter - Internet Intermediaries and Jurisdiction - Takedown Requests, A Child's Right to be Forgotten: In Search of a Solution Osgoode Hall Law School, November 12, 2018.
The following is a sample of Antonio’s litigation matters:
- represented the defendant, both at trial and on appeal, in defending a claim for infringement of a patent relating to oil and gas fracturing; successfully defended the allegations of patent infringement and also invalidated the patent (Packers Plus v. Essential Energy)
- counsel for the defendant at first instance and on appeal in a successful summary judgement motion related to allegations of copyright infringement
- counsel for the defendant in successfully overturning an Anton Piller order
It's What We Do.
With almost 100 years of combined experience among its founders, CPST focuses on providing the highest standard of client service and advice.