Anthony is a founding partner of CPST Law LLP and its related patent and trademark agency firm, CPST Intellectual Property Inc. He is a lawyer, patent agent and trademark agent.
Anthony's practice covers the full range of intellectual property protection, enforcement and commercialization. He has acted as trial and appellate counsel in a wide variety of patent, trademark and copyright litigation matters. Anthony is responsible for the prosecution of patent, trademark and industrial design portfolios for clients in a wide variety of industries. In particular, he has extensive experience in the energy and financial services sectors. He regularly advises clients in areas such as trademark clearance, freedom-to-operate opinions, data protection for innovative drugs, comparative advertising, official marks, and matters arising under the Patented Medicines (Notice of Compliance) Regulations.
Anthony has been recognized as a leading patent and trademark lawyer in the following publications:
- Managing Intellectual Property IP Stars (Patents and Trademarks)
- WIPR Leaders
- Who's Who Legal: Patents
- Who's Who Legal: Trademarks
- The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory (Intellectual Property)
- World Trademark Review 1000: The World's Leading Trademark Professionals
- IAM Patent 1000: The World's Leading Patent Practitioners
- Chambers Global: The World's Leading Lawyers for Business (Intellectual Property)
- Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada's Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys - Litigation Star – Intellectual Property
- Intellectual Property Owners Association, Vice Chair - Industrial Designs Committee
- International Trademark Association, Member - Brand Restrictions Committee
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Canadian Bar Association
- Author, Sending Cease and Desist Letters in Canada, IP Litigator Magazine, July/August 2020
- Author, Packers Plus v Essential Energy, Intellectual Property Magazine, February 28, 2020
- Author, Canada chapter; Patent Laws and Regulations 2020; International Comparative Legal Guides (ICLG)
- Author, Canada chapter; Patents Comparative Guide; Mondaq
- Author, Canada Overhauls its Industrial Design System; Mondaq; November 7, 2018
- Author; How to Navigate Canada’s Official Mark System; Mondaq; August 8, 2018
The following is a sample of Anthony’s litigation matters:
- represented the defendant, both at trial and on appeal, in defending a claim for infringement of a patent relating to oil and gas fracturing; successfully defended the allegations of patent infringement and also invalidated the patent (Packers Plus v. Essential Energy)
- represented the defendant, both at trial and on appeal, in defending a claim for infringement of a patent relating to electrical switchgear; successfully defended the allegations of patent infringement and also invalidated the patent (ABB Inc. v. Hyundai Heavy Industries)
- successfully represented the appellant in the Federal Court of Appeal in invalidating a third party’s trademark registration (Reynolds Presto Products v. P.R.S. Mediterranean)
- successfully represented the defendant in applications for an interim injunction and an interlocutory injunction in relation to a software license agreement (ProPurchaser v. Wifidelity)
It's What We Do.
With almost 100 years of combined experience among its founders, CPST focuses on providing the highest standard of client service and advice.