Brett is a founding partner of CPST Intellectual Property Inc. He is a patent agent practicing primarily in the high-tech, software and mechanical fields.
Brett’s expertise includes patent drafting and prosecution, patent portfolio management, and opinion work regarding patentability, infringement, validity, and standards essential patents (SEPs). His practice focuses on patent-related issues in the software, electrical, and mechanical fields, with particular emphasis on multidisciplinary systems. His professional experience includes servicing clients in a wide range of industries, such as emerging technologies (including AI, IoT, Fintech, quantum computing, and blockchain), software (including apps, cloud, databases, SaaS models), data analytics, wireless telecommunications, oil and gas, data security, automotive electronics, process automation, and consumer products. He provides strategic patent advice for clients ranging from large multi-national corporations to individual inventors and is responsible for managing patent portfolios of all sizes.
He also has an active practice in industrial designs and design patents, as well as litigation support and has experience in advising on patent issues arising during corporate transactions.
Brett has been a member of the Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC) since 2004, the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) since 2006, and the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI) since 2006.
Brett currently holds the position of chair, Group 6 – Software, High Tech, and Computer- Related Issues of the Study & Work Commission (CET) of FICPI International. He is also active as an instructor for IPIC in the patent agent's training course (PATC) modules, has served as a guest lecturer at the engineering and computer science undergraduate level regarding patent issues, and has been actively involved in educating and training engineering students in the field of patent law through a co-operative program with the University of Waterloo.
Brett has been recognized as one of Canada's leading patent professionals, including by:
- IAM Patent 1000
- Who's Who Legal: Patents
- Who's Who Legal: Canada
- Chair, Group 6 – Software, High Tech, and Computer-Related Issues of the Study & Work Commission (CET) of the International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys (FICPI)
- Intellectual Property Institute of Canada (IPIC)
- American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA)
- Intellectual Property Owners Association (IPO)
- Co-author: International Comparative Legal Guide to: Patents, 2020
Chapter on Canada, August, 2019
- Author: Ask a Lawyer - How Do I Patent My Tech InnovationBetakit, August 23, 2018
- Co-author: International Comparative Legal Guide to: Patents, 2019
Chapter on Canada, August, 2018.
- Quoted: TD Bank Group - Supporting Fintech IP at the Seed Stage
Interviewed by Jennifer Brown, Dealmakers, Canadian Lawyer, September 30, 2018.
- Moderator: Artificial Intelligence (AI), 3D Printing of Human Organs, and Other Emerging Technologies: Will the Patent System Need to Adapt?
Panel Discussion on How Emerging Technologies Will Affect the Patent System, FICPI 18th Opne Forum, Vienna, Austria, October, 2019.
- Co-Moderator: Where Do We Go From Here?
Panel Discussion on How Artificial Intelligence Will Affect the Patent System, The FICPI/AIPLA/AIPPI Joint Colloquium on AI, Turin, Italy, March, 2019.
- Speaker: Transferring Priority Rights
Panel Discussion on Priority Rights in Patents, 17th Open Forum, International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys, Venice, Italy, October, 2017.
- Speaker: Retirement and Mentoring - Keeping Knowledge within the Firm
16th Open Forum, International Federation of Intellectual Property Attorneys, St. Petersburg, Russia, October 6, 2016.
- Speaker: Post-Grant Patent Challenges in Canada
IP Practice Group Meeting, Lex Mundi, Milan, Italy, September 22, 2016.
Drafted and prosecuted two patents involved in a patent infringement lawsuit that resulted in a $236 million judgement against the defendant in U.S. District Court.
It's What We Do.
With almost 100 years of combined experience among its founders, CPST focuses on providing the highest standard of client service and advice.